Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and Ice in the Northern Hemisphere 2011/2012

Options
  • 03-09-2011 10:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

See how this thread goes. I think it would be a good idea to monitor daily the build up of snow across the Northern Hemisphere from here on.

cursnow_asiaeurope.gif

cursnow.gif

These charts are updated on a daily basis and can be found here.

http://www.natice.noaa.gov/ims/

Not much to see yet but there should be hopefully very soon as cold air starts to be ejected southward from polar regions particularly over Siberia. We are (very) slightly ahead in snow and ice cover this year on the same time last year.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Are we past the point where melting ends? Is the ice starting to expand now or will it continue to melt for a few more weeks?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Are we past the point where melting ends? Is the ice starting to expand now or will it continue to melt for a few more weeks?

Still in decline but reaching the bottom now.

http://www.natice.noaa.gov/ims/images/ims_data.jpg

It's usually later this month it starts to increase again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

We are very close to the end of the decreasing stage and the start of the expansion point. Unfortunately, the arctic ice sheet is in disastrous conditions this year, worst year (bar 2007):
    http://www.ijis.iarc.uaf.edu/en/home/seaice_extent.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

We're quite close to the end of the sea ice melt season

The average date for the sea ice minimum over the last 10 years is the 16th, and over the last 30 years is the 12th, but this can vary from the end of August to the end of September.

Here's a graph I created with my sea ice data from '79 - present

3-9-11SeaIce.jpg

We're second lowest on record currently by about 100,000km2 and are already below the final minimum of every year except 2007 (at least we will be when IJIS site updates later today)
    We're also joint lowest on record for ice area according to cryosphere today http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/

Here is a live webcam from Longyearbyen in Svalbard, Norway.

Sv-with-locator-map.png

It is on the largest island of the archipelago.

01-gruvedalen.jpg02-gruvedalen.jpg

They are likely to see their first snowfall by next weekend. Nothing as of yet but it's imminent I tells yeh:D The mountains in the distance on the first camera have already got their first coating of snow. In a couple of weeks that inlet will be coated in ice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

darkman2 wrote: »

They are likely to see their first snowfall by next weekend. Nothing as of yet but it's imminent I tells yeh:D The mountains in the distance on the first camera have already got their first coating of snow. In a couple of weeks that inlet will be coated in ice.

While I like snow and all, snow from september until whenever it melts would be bloody horrible . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭J6P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

While I like snow and all, snow from september until whenever it melts would be bloody horrible . . .

You don't appreciate it enough:(

I'd take cold crisp days, with pleasant white views, over grey and gloomy conditions everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

You don't appreciate it enough:(

I'd take cold crisp days, with pleasant white views, over grey and gloomy conditions everytime.

I totally agree!

Not many people seem to realise that with snowy cold weather we nearly always get Clear , Crisp & bright days too! ... Especially when the snow reflects all the light !

So ye id much rather that than gloomy , rainy days :)

A comparison with this time last year
    ims2010247_asiaeurope.gifims2011247_asiaeurope.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

There doesn't seem to be much difference between last year and this year. In fact, this year some parts seem to show as whiter/snowyier.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Iancar29 wrote: »
    I totally agree!

Not many people seem to realise that with snowy cold weather we nearly always get Clear , Crisp & bright days too! ... Especially when the snow reflects all the light !

So ye id much rather that than gloomy , rainy days :)

Rain and gloom please. I play golf. You can play golf in the rain, you can't play in the snow ;)

Notable differences north of Svalbard (less ice this year)...however there seems to be more ice this year on the Greenland coast...

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

(...)

Well, no snow there as yet, but I just took a peek at their forecasts, and it looks like they could have sleet and maybe even snow by Monday. Certainly they're looking at temperatures below freezing in the next week.

Although we're not going that far north, I and my wife are going on a Norwegian coast cruise next February, so I'll have some personal reports of late-winter snow and ice then. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

From the OP's first post -

How come Greenland is so covered in snow and yet northern Canada and Siberia aren't?

vicwatson wrote: »
    From the OP's first post -

How come Greenland is so covered in snow and yet northern Canada and Siberia aren't?

Not 100% sure, Greenland is surrounded by a cold sea, whilst Northern Canada and Siberia have whole massive continents below them....the heat can travel up easily during the Summer months from hot central asia and the hot southern united states....lets say that in Greenland's case the absence of a direct land connection with a warm continent and the presence of a cold sea act as "buffers" and therefore snowmelt isn't as significant as in the other two....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

gothwalk wrote: »
    Well, no snow there as yet, but I just took a peek at their forecasts, and it looks like they could have sleet and maybe even snow by Monday. Certainly they're looking at temperatures below freezing in the next week.

Although we're not going that far north, I and my wife are going on a Norwegian coast cruise next February, so I'll have some personal reports of late-winter snow and ice then. :)

Watch their forecast here
    http://www.yr.no/sted/Norge/Svalbard/Longyearbyen/langtidsvarsel.html

No snow forecast in text of weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

biskupshals_1.jpg

Snow in the North of Iceland

some more cams here:

http://www.vegagerdin.is/english/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

1st September vs 12th september

ims2011244_asiaeurope.gif

cursnow_asiaeurope.gif

And what the place looked like the same time last year!

ims2010255_asiaeurope.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Rain and gloom please. I play golf. You can play golf in the rain, you can't play in the snow ;)

Paint the balls orange and you'll be grand

• Advertisement

Some white fluffy goodness has arrived on the hilltops in Svalbard. Better late then never.

02-gruvedalen.jpg

First big increase in sea ice extent today, 47,000km2.
    We may require another few days to call the minimum for this year though.
    http://www.ijis.iarc.uaf.edu/seaice/extent/plot.csv

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

Some white fluffy goodness has arrived on the hilltops in Svalbard. Better late then never.

I was staring at that this morning, trying to work out if it was snow, or just cloud - I'd been caught on cloud there earlier in the week. Those cameras are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

gothwalk wrote: »

I was meant to go in to Longyearbyen in July, bit did not make it in :( due to there being to much ice in the inlet. Winds had blown ice around from the east side of the island, causing it to build up at the entrance to Longyearbyen harbor, forcing them to close the harbor. At least it was an experience going through an ice field :) and if we are to get a polar low coming in from Svalbard this winter at least I know where it came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Conor30

Spindle wrote: »
    I was meant to go in to Longyearbyen in July, bit did not make it in :( due to there being to much ice in the inlet. Winds had blown ice around from the east side of the island, causing it to build up at the entrance to Longyearbyen harbor, forcing them to close the harbor. At least it was an experience going through an ice field :) and if we are to get a polar low coming in from Svalbard this winter at least I know where it came from.

What was going to be taking you there? It's not exactly Spain, is it?! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Conor30 wrote: »
    What was going to be taking you there? It's not exactly Spain, is it?! :P

I really like the Arctic, I was in Greenland and Iceland before, so really wanted to experience the high Arctic.

The cold and freezing fog off the Spitsbergen coast was something unreal, so bring on a cold winter :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

Spindle wrote: »
    I really like the Arctic, I was in Greenland and Iceland before, so really wanted to experience the high Arctic.

The cold and freezing fog off the Spitsbergen coast was something unreal, so bring on a cold winter :)

I too would love to go somewhere like this someday, far more than a holiday in Spain I have to say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭pauldry

fizzycyst wrote: »
    I too would love to go somewhere like this someday, far more than a holiday in Spain I have to say :)

Nothin bates a day in Belmullet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

pauldry wrote: »
    Nothin bates a day in Belmullet

Never been to Belmullet, must take that trip soon, preferably on a nice stormy day :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement